When you are browsing different websites and blogs, you may notice that some individuals have a picture next to their name. Others simply have a ‘mystery’ person icon. These images that you see are called “Avatars”. WordPress uses a specific type of Avatar called a “Gravatar”. Gravatar stands for Globally Recognized Avatar.
Gravatars Follow You, Like a Puppy
Since so many sites are now built using WordPress, you are likely to see a lot of Gravatars these days. The cool thing about Gravatars is that your Gravatar will follow you around the web and it will automatically appear whenever you post a comment on a WordPress site. Think of it as your own, personal puppy that follows you wherever you go.
So what’s so great about having a Gravatar?
Your Gravatar can be your professional photo. As you contribute to blog discussions on the web, your photo starts to become your brand. People will begin to recognize you by your Gravatar and associate your Gravatar with the comments that you make. Since the same Gravatar appears on any WordPress site that has enabled Gravatars, your brand will start to become recognized across forums and blogs. As a career professional, you should constantly be looking for ways to improve your brand and increase your professional brand exposure.
Why should you set up a Gravatar?
On many sites, you can upload your image each time you post a comment. How about saving time and creating a consistent, professional brand with your Gravatar? Create your Gravatar once and it will follow you around the web, so you don’t have to upload images each time.
Here’s my Gravatar:
Ok, You’ve Convinced Me. How Do I Get a Gravatar?
- Step 1: Visit the Gravatar website and sign up. It’s located at Gravatar.com. You’ll see a ‘WordPress/Sign In form near the top right side of the website.
- Step 2: Click on Sign In
- Step 3: If you already have a WordPress.com account then enter your username and password and continue. If you don’t have a WordPress.com account, then click on the blue link at the bottom of the form to Sign up for a WordPress.com account. Hint: You don’t need to have a blog to have a WordPress.com account. Anyone can sign up.
- Step 4: Enter your email address. Create your username and password. Continue.
- Step 5: You will see a notification that an email has been sent to your email address to confirm your registration.
- Step 6: Check your email Inbox for the notification. It will say ‘Welcome to WordPress.com (and Gravatar). Click on ‘Activate Account’.
- Step 7: Now you can sign in to Gravatar using the username and password you created. Upload your image and use the cropping tool to select the portion of the image that you want to become your Gravatar.
- Step 8: Select the ‘Rating’ for your image. To use your image for professional career management you should be sure that your image is suitable for the ‘G’ rating. Hint: it’s a lot like the movies, where ‘G’ stands for suitable for general audiences. If you select ‘X’ then there’s a good chance your Gravatar won’t show up on most WordPress sites.
Go Ahead and Set It Up Now
No time like the present to get your Gravatar set up. Once you have followed the directions above, be sure to leave a comment here on CareerFaithful.com’s blog to let us know how you like your new Gravatar. You’ll be able to see it when you add your Comment because we have Gravatars set up on our site! We’d love to ‘see’ you!
And remember, once you have set up your Gravatar you’ll be able to use it to build your brand across multiple sites on the internet.